Thursday, January 14, 2016

Adverbials, where do they go?

Hello folks! First of all...

Welcome to my new group of Intermediate 2 and to my two new groups of Intermediate 1. I also teach a group of Basic 1 but this blog and its contents may be a bit difficult for them just yet,  I´m afraid. Everything will come at the right time.

Right, this post is about adverbials and their position in the sentences. This may be quite complex since we have many different types of adverbials and they go in different positions. For example, "unfortunately" does not go in the same place that "really", does it?
Ex: *I unfortunately don´t have much time left - I really don´t have much time left 
As you probably noticed, the first sentence in the example above is wrong and the second sentence is right. So, what´s the right order? Let´s have a look at the different types of adverbials we have and where they go in the sentence:
  •  Adverbs of Comment. 
They give the speaker´s or the writer´s OPINION about something. They are subjective views about something that is being discussed. They usually go at the beginning of the sentence
Examples: Eventually, your mother will give you permission to go out. Obviously my sister is less clever than I am.
  • Adverbs of Degree. 
They describe HOW MUCH something is done or TO WHAT EXTENT something is done. They may go before the main verb
Example: I have almost finished!
However: If...
They modify an adjective, they go before the adjective. Example: My students are incredibly happy with their results.
- A lot and much often go after the verb. Examples: I have been working a lot in the project. I guess you don´t like much the idea. 
  • Adverbs of Frequency. 
They are related to HOW OFTEN something happens. They go before the main verb. However, if the verb we use is the verb to be, they go after this verb (since verb to be is an auxiliar itself) 
Examples: I never take my laptop to school. I have always believed in ghosts. Your sister is hardly ever late for dinner.
  • Adverbs of Manner. 
They describe the WAY of doing something. How someone does something. They usually go after the verb
Examples: My mother drives very slowly. All my students have been studying for the exam very intensively.
  • Adverbs of Time and Place. 
They say WHEN or WHEN something happened, will happen.  They usually go at the end of the sentence
Examples: The new car will arrive at the airport in half an hour. She hasn´t lived here for 5 years. When we have both adverbials of time and place, place adverbials generally go before time adverbials.

All other adverbs like "just", "even", or "probably" usually go before the main verb and after verb to be. Examples: I have just come back from the office. The time is probably wrong. I hadn´t even started yet! 

Complicated? No worries, here I leave you with a summary chart that I have prepared regarding this topic:

 
Beginning of Sentence
Before Adjective
Before Main Verb (And after To Be)
After Main Verb
End of Sentence
COMMENT
DEGREE (if they modify an adjective)
DEGREE
MANNER
TIME AND PLACE  (PLACE before TIME)


FREQUENCY
* A LOT
* MUCH



OTHER ADVERBS (Just, even, Probably)


Luckily, I have enough money to buy a house.
My son was incredibly satisfied when he won the prize.
·  We almost run out of time
·  They normally go home for lunch
·  You probably think I am stupid!
·  Everyone in this class is working very hard.
·  When I am tired I shout a lot.
·  I don´t drink much water
The letters arrived at the post office on time.





















And that´s all about adverbs and adverbials. I hope this is really useful (adverb of degree) for you and you have a lovely end of the week. The weekend will arrive very shortly (adverb of manner). Obviously (adverb of comment) I will be back next week! 

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment